from Chefs Margaret Mclellan and Mackenzie Arrington (see Harvest on the Harbor)
Yield: 1 gal soup
3 T Butter, unsalted
1 Onion, chopped
3 Shallots, chopped
2 oz Ginger, minced
5 lbs. Red Beets, peeled
5 lbs.Yellow Beets, peeled
2 gal. Vegetable stock
1 qt. Heavy cream
Salt to taste
White pepper to taste
Allspice to taste
1 pt. Crème Frâiche
½ bunch Thyme, minced
Method – Soup
- Sauté onions, shallots, and ginger in butter and sweat until aromatic over medium heat.
- Add vegetable stock and beets, bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and let simmer for 2 hours or until beets are tender.
- Strain out the beets and reserve the vegetable stock.
- In a blender puree the beet, onion, shallot, and ginger mixture to desired texture with a little vegetable stock.
- Return the mixture to a large stock pot with heavy cream and reheat to incorporate flavors. (10 minute simmer)
- Season with salt, pepper and allspice.
- Remove from the heat and store in the refrigorater over night to all the soups flavors to develop further.
Method – Garnish
- Spoon or use a piping bag to garnish a drop of crème fraiche on each portion
- Sprinkle a touch of thyme on each for flavor and color.
- 1 large stock pot
- 1 Blender
- 1 Strainer
- 1 Piping bag or spoon
- 1 Wooden spoon