From Graham Tinsley, Castle Hotel
Ingredients for 4 people
4.5 lb. Mussels
2 large shallots
1 clove of garlic
3.5 oz. Dry White Wine
7 oz. Double Cream
1 oz. Chopped Fresh Parsley
1. Clean the mussels by removing all the barnacles and the beards from the outside of the shells in plenty of cold running water.
2. Discard any mussels that are damaged or ones that are fully open and don’t close if you give them a squeeze.
3. Peel and finely chop the shallots and garlic clove.
4. Heat a heavy based saucepan that has a tight fitting lid.
5. Add the mussels, shallots, garlic and the white wine to the pan, cover with the lid and cook until the mussels open. This should take only 2-3 minutes.
6. When the mussels are open remove from the pan with a slotted spoon.
7. Reduce the cooking liquor by half then add the double cream.
8. Bring the sauce back to the boil and add the chopped parsley.
9. Drop the mussels back into the sauce to re-heat.
10. Season with freshly ground black pepper and serve with crusty white bread spread with pesto.
For other recipes from Chef Graham Tinsley see:
& & &